Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

University of Michigan stops operating on dogs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

2/27/2009 10:05:00 AM Email this article • Print this article

The Associated Press

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The University of Michigan has announced it no longer will operate on live dogs from animal shelters to teach surgeons lifesaving techniques.

The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press reported Thursday the university’s Health System said its Graduate Medical Education Committee decided to use only simulators, such as mannequins with human organs.

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine sought to end the practice. The animal-welfare group filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and erected protest billboards.

The Ann Arbor News reports the group won’t pursue the federal complaint.

The group has lobbied to end such practices at other schools.

The Free Press reports the anesthetized animals were too injured from the procedures to survive.

What are your thoughts?

Reader Comments

Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009
    Article comment by: montcalm resident

I would think this would be used as an excellent argument in favor of no longer doing business with the class B dealer taking our pets from Stanton.

Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009
    Article comment by: Melissa H.

I am very excited to hear this news and this is yet ANOTHER call to Commissioner Carr that MICHIGAN PEOPLE DO NOT WANT CLASS B DEALERS!!! Take the hints…when UM takes the hint, why can’t you?

Article comment by: gjo

I’m glad the U of M decided to join the majority of universities and update their ATLS course.
    We all know those dogs came from Montcalm, Gratiot, and Mecosta Counties through the class b dealer pipeline.

Article comment by: Mr Bobo

a wise man once said "you can measure the value of a society by the way they treat their animals!"
    Mr Bobo

what an awesome victory!! that’s great news!!

Hooray, U-M !!!! GO BLUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu