Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Public opposes animal research contract

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Public opposes animal research contractControversy involves R&R Research
    Updated: Thursday, 12 Mar 2009, 1:36 AM EDT
    Published : Wednesday, 11 Mar 2009, 8:00 PM EDT

Rick Albin
    Jessica Leffler
    STANTON, Mich. (WOOD) – A Montcalm County citizens committee is trying to figure out the next step in its relationship with a controversial animal testing center.

R&R Research, which takes animals from the Montcalm County Animal Shelter and sells and disposes them for research, has been at the center of the argument. Many complain the animals that R&R takes could otherwise be adopted.

There have been a number of questions as to how the animals have been treated in the past. But the big question going forward is: Will there be a new contract between the shelter and R&R Research?

A public meeting was held Wednesday to discuss these matters. The head of R&R Research represented his company at the meeting. But he refused to answer questions about the animals he euthanizes, adding to the frustration of dozens of residents in attendance.

Many of those citizens are opposed to another contract with R&R Research.

"Any time an animal control staff says this animal was unadoptable, this animal was too sick to be adoptable, this animal is too aggressive to be adoptable, and it goes to R&R Research, the big question that’s going to be hanging over the shelter was, was it really?" said another resident at the meeting.

One woman at the meeting even offered to pay for the unwanted animals if R&R Research was removed from the scenario.

"I have no reservation writing a check right now for $5,000. Why isn’t someone going to take it from me right now? I want to know…why?" Carol Manos asked the committee.

The citizens committee will send a recommendation to the full county commission whose elected members will make a final decision. Members said they need two more weeks to further study the issue.

‘We’re willing to look at the options and if there are things that are neglected, obviously animal control can’t fix ’em all overnight. But we’re willing to spend some money, and we’re working in that direction and to make the changes that are needed for the benefit of the animals," said Montcalm County Commissioner Patrick Carr.

What are your thoughts on this, we’d love to hear them?

my thoughts….. both humans & animals have a right to be treated humanely & with respect, and in my opinion dogs/cats/animals do NOT need to be used for inhumane research that causes them to endure miserable treatments and experiences. There are plenty of NON-ANIMAL testing methods & research methods available now-a-days I’m sure. (see University of Michigan!) Furthermore, in my opinion, every dog/cat deserves a chance to be part of a loving home.

The local county pet owners that take their dogs & cats to this shelter when they can’t keep the pet anymore, are they made aware when they "sign off" ownership that there is a very high chance their dog could be given to R&R for research, INSTEAD of into a loving home or a Rescue Group??? Most people assume a shelter intends to find a new home for their pet – not send it away to research.

It sounds like if these local county residents (who are also taxpayers) could choose what happens to these helpless shelter animals in their county – they would NOT choose for them to go to research facilities.

I hope the committee listens to the the concern and the opposition against R&R’s contract, and does what is right.

I agree completely!

"Look deep into the eyes of any animal, and then for a moment, trade places, their life becomes as precious as yours and you become as vulnerable as them. Now smile if you believe all animals deserve our respect and our protection, for in a way, they are us, and we are them." -Philip Ochoa Board Member, ALL FOR ANIMALS

It is our charge to take care of the earths creatures and treat any living animal in a humane way. When modern science has so many alternative ways of doing research it makes this cruelty.

In humans and animals what makes them aggressive is their treatment and experiences in their life. Most can be changed to live in a better less aggressive way.

Love is what changes the world. Really look into a animals or humans eyes and see the truth for what it is. Those that can see the sadness, emtyiness, love will help change the world one step at a time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu