Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Montcalm County Shelter 3/27/2009

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Montcalm County commissioners will consider recommendation to quit deal with R&R Research Breeders

by Susie Fair | The Grand Rapids Press
    Friday March 27, 2009, 4:51 AM

MONTCALM COUNTY — County Commission Chairman Patrick Carr said he sees value in sacrificing animals for research that could potentially help save human lives.
    Nonetheless, a committee has recommended the county end a nearly three-decade relationship with R&R Research Breeders Inc., a Howard City company that works with Montcalm County Animal Control. In exchange for picking up euthanized dogs and cats from the county animal shelter in Stanton, R&R gets to keep other animals it desires to sell for research purposes.
    "They’ve been good to work with," Carr said. "Unfortunately, critics have been unreasonable and unwilling to consider the other side’s opinion." Critics that include animal-rights activists have pressured county officials for years to end the contract.

An ad hoc committee looking at the set-up Wednesday night voted 4-3 to recommend ending the pact. The recommendation goes to the county commissioners, who could consider the measure at their April 13 meeting. Jim Woudenberg, who owns R&R Research, does the arrangement free of charge to the county. The animals selected for research are vaccinated, treated for parasites and housed in climate-controlled, segregated kennels until a buyer is found.
    Last year, about 150 animals — dogs and cats — were taken from the shelter to R&R.
    "I realize this is an emotional issue, but if I wasn’t in the picture, the county would end up euthanizing them," Woudenberg said. Among those pushing the contract’s end is Cheryl McCloud, director of Newaygo-based animal rescue agency Lake Haven Rescue, which serves Montcalm, Kent, Newaygo and Ottawa counties. "Nobody wants to see animals transported God-knows-where for God-knows-what," she said. In January, to allow a closer look at the arrangement, the county commissioners approved a six-month extension of a five-year contract with R&R that was to expire in February. "I think we need to do what’s right for both the animals and people," Carr said.
    In May, Patricia Lentz was hired to run the animal shelter. The Shepherd resident ran the Isabella County Animal Shelter for 18 years. She replaced former animal control director Kevin Weaver, who resigned after being scrutinized for poor job performance and sloppy record-keeping.

What are your thoughts? We’d love to hear them.

I vote to end the contract – and give more dogs the chance to be adopted into families!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu