Order your Pet Food at Chewy.com and Mackenzie's Animal Sanctuary will get a $20 donation!

Walking dogs who want to walk people

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

In the last 9 months that I have been here, I have learned a lot about walking dogs. Many people think that walking a dog merely involves clipping a leash to a collar and heading out into the world for a little while. The other day, while I was out driving in my car, I saw a little Min Pin about 15 feet ahead of his people at the end of his flexilead. I just shook my head; one look at that little guy, and I can only imagine who wears the pants–or the collar, rather–in that pack. Hint: It ain’t the people.

Walking a dog is not merely a walk–it’s a mental challenge for both the dog and the handler. Sure, some dogs like our Tom are content to trot right alongside of you as you go, and unless you occaisionally glance down, you almost forget he’s there. Then, there are dogs like Fawn who strain at the lead, and dogs like Robby and Ava, who are slowly but surely learning the skill of walking politely.

I have gotten a lot better at walking dogs; and for a person like me who needs to learn patience, walking is a very revealing means of discovering exactly what state of mind I am in when I go to get a dog for a walk. If I am too focused on getting somewhere rather than staying in the moment, the dog pulls on the lead. If I am worried, stressed out, wound up, or upset–generally any negative emotion–the dog knows, and takes advantage. The best walks I have are on days where I feel entirely content.

I discovered today how far I’ve come; my dog Daisy is a horrible puller, as well as one who tries to fling herself at anything with a diesel engine that passes by while we’re out walking. 9 months ago, she really got under my skin because I had no idea how to control her. Today, she pulled, but I felt an inner calm and control that I never knew I had, and we made good progress; I finally managed to get a slack lead with her for at least a few times.

And, I have my furry buddies at MAS to thank for teaching and challenging me to become a better leader.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu